Do the following exercise

A. Choose the correct answer by crossing (x) a, b, c, d, e,!

 

This text is for number 1-2.

 

After school time, you are going to visit your friend who is in the hospital. You need to tell your father that you’ll be late to go home. However, due to the school policy, you can only use the school's phone

 

You : Excuse me Sir could you do me a favor?

School officer : Yes, what can I do for you?

You : I’d like to tell my father that I will be late this afternoon. I'm going to visit friend in the hospital after school. Here is my ID card Sir.

(1) ....

School officer : OK here you are. You can call him now

You : Thank you Sir, but the phone is locked.

School officer: (2) ....

You : Yes, please

 

1.         The best sentence to complete the blank number 1 is ....

a.         May I use the phone please?

b.         Could you call my father please?

c.         Would you phone my father please?

d.         Could I phone my father please?

e.         May I call his father please?

 

2.         he best sentence to complete the blank number 2 is .... 

a.         May I?

b.         Could you tell me your secret?

c.         Can I borrow your key?

d.         Would you mind if I use your key?

e.         Will I try it for you?

 

This text is for number 3-5.

(Your uncle told you to inform to your father that he is in your house. He is waiting for him. He hopes your father can go home earlier)

Uncle : (3) .... that I am waiting for him?

You : Yes uncle I will call him. (You ran to catch the phone)

Father : Hello

You : Dad, Uncle is waiting for you. He is at home since one hour ago. (4) .... soon after finishing your work?

Father : OK, I will be home in one hour. (5) ....

You : OK Dad. I’ll tell him.

Father : Thank you. See you soon.

You : See you.

 

3.         The best request to complete the sentence is ....

a.         Would you please tell your father

b.         Can I see your father

c.         Where is your father

d.         Could your father go home now

e.         Does he know

 

 

 

 

4.         The best request to complete the sentence is ....

a.         Could you please go home

b.         Would you mind if I pick you

c.         May uncle pick you

d.         Could you pick me

e.         Could you pick uncle

 

5.         The best request to complete the sentence is ....

a.         Could you tell it to your uncle please?

b.         Don’t you worry about me.

c.         I will meet him.

d.         Couldn’t you see me I am working?

e.         I would go with him.

 

6.         Good news can be described as ….

a.         information that is encouraging

b.         information about bicycle accident

c.         information that is negative

d.         information which is terrible

e.         information you want to avoid

 

7.         One function of news is .…

a.         to inform about recent events

b.         to even the information nearby

c.         to share your ideas about something

d.         to make sensations

e.         to lose some information

 

8.         A suitable expression to deliver good news is .…

a.         I'm really pleased to tell you

b.         I'm afraid I've got news for you

c.         I’m sorry for saying this

d.         I don’t know what to say

e.         Not good news I suppose

 

9.         Bad news can be described as .…

a.         unpleasant information

b.         the news that spreads fast

c.         peasant information

d.         the happening events

e.         desirable information

 

10.       A suitable expression to deliver bad news is .…

a.         I’m sorry to have to say this

b.         I'm really pleased to tell you

c.         I think it won't make you sad

d.         this will please you

e.         great news for you

 

 

11.       The expression that can be used to respond to good news is .…

a.         I'm glad to know that

b.         It sounds like nonsense

c.         That sounds terrible

d.         I like fantastic four

e.         I'm a gladiator

 

12.       The expression that can be used to respond to bad news is .…

a.         That's unfortunate

b.         That's for my nation

c.         I can't do this anymore

d.         I'm sorry for coming late

e.         I believe you

 

 

 

 

 

 

13.       Your friend has broken her left arm in a sport activity, you consider this as .…

a.         Terrible news

b.         Not bad news

c.         Fantastic news

d.         Traffic news

e.         Terrific news

 

14.       Your mother has finally opened her business, you consider this as .…

a.         Good news

b.         Kind act

c.         Great show

d.         Nothing special

e.         Usual deeds

 

15.       Arrange the dialogue below to be a proper conversation.

1.         Around three weeks. You can join other competitions after you recover. 

2.         If you force your arm, it will be worse and you won't be able to play well  

           anymore. 

3.         But doctor, I have a competition next week.

4.         I feel bad to have to say this, but your arm needs a proper medication. 

5.         How long will this take?

6.         I can’t believe it.

a.         4-3-2-5-1-6

b.         4-3-2-5-6-1

c.         1-6-4-3-2-5

d.         6-1-4-3-2-5

e.         1-6-5-3-2-4

 

16.       There are some parts/generic structures of job vacancy. EXCEPT ….

a.         address/contact

b.         job application

c.         qualification

d.         purpose

e.         title

 

17.       Below are some models of job vacancies, EXCEPT ….

a.         job fair

b.         scholarship

c.         job recruitment 

d.         walk-in interview

e.         broadcasted in radio

 

18.       Below is NOT one of the characteristics of a job vacancy, ….

a.         using short sentence

b.         using simple language

c.         giving detail information

d.         using understandable language 

e.         using complex sentence and short information 

 

19.       Interested candidates who meet the requirements, please apply with resume and

           recent photograph to PO BOX 17000 or to email: totaleducare@quipper.com

           The above sentence is categorized as ….

a.         resume

b.         qualifications

c.         address/contact

d.         purpose

e.         title 

 

 

 

 

 

20.       The expression that can be used in opening paragraph and expressing interest

           on filling certain position is ….

a.         Thank you for considering my request.

b.         I am writing to apply for the staff position.  

c.         Please give my application strong consideration.

d.         I look forward to hearing from you at your convenience.

e.         The opportunity presented in this listing is very interesting. 

 

21.       The correct expression in closing paragraph in job application is ….

a.         Dear Sir or Madam.

b.         Thank you for considering my request. 

c.         I am writing to you in response to your advertisement for a writer position.

d.         I am writing to you in response to my advertisement for a writer position.

e.         I believe that my past experience meet the requirement of your company need.

 

22.       There are some characteristics in composing the application letter, EXCEPT  

           ….

a.         using action verb

b.         using active voice

c.         using short words 

d.         using short sentences

e.         using informal words 

 

23.       Arrange these jumbled words into a good sentence.

          the – nurse – apply – position – I – for – writing – to – am

           1         2          3              4        5     6          7         8       9

          The best arrangement for the jumbled words above is ….

a.         5 – 9 – 7 – 8 – 3 – 6 – 1 – 2 – 4

b.         5 – 9 – 3 – 6 – 1 – 2 – 4 – 7 – 8

c.         5 – 9 – 7 – 6 – 3 – 8 – 1 – 2 – 4

d.         1 – 2 – 4 – 5 – 9 – 7 – 8 – 3 – 6

e.         1 – 2 – 4 – 5 – 9 – 7 – 6 – 3 – 8

 

Questions 24 – 25 are based on the following text.

 

UNESCO Beirut office launched a Media training programme for youth NGOs to enhance their communication skills, through enabling them to build media relations, increase their capacity to produce media material, push their news through national and international channels, and efficiently monitor this process.

 

Mr. George Awad, UNESCO Communication & Information programme officer, talked about the programme, its stages, benefits and the commitments needed from each NGO. This was followed by a brief on each NGO current communication status, which was lead by Ms. Nada Hamzeh, UNESCO consultant.

 

The second session was a panel discussion with Mr. Sam Menassa, General Manager of Radio Voice of Lebanon and Mr. Ghassan Hajjar, managing editor at Annahar Newspaper. The two guests shared their perspective on “Understanding the Media” and how it is dealt with at different media outlets through their own experiences. Mr. Menassa talked about the structure of the media outlets and the changes that have

 

happened over the years. While Mr. Hajjar emphasis was on the quality of information to be shared as not any information is Media Information and not any information is important enough to be published.

 

The Round-table also addressed the fact that Youth are not interested in Radio, nor Newspaper and even less in TV (as per UNESCO latest study). Social Media is the Youth Hub nowadays; that is why it was crucial to develop websites and phone applications in order to advance at the same pace with Youth on the level of Technology.

 

 

 

24.       What is the text about?

a.         Radio voice of Lebanon

b.         Media Training Program

c.         The quality of information

d.         Understanding the technology

e.          level of Technology.

 

25.       What will the NGOs probably do after the discussion?

a.         Develop websites and phone applications

b.         Ask people to be interested to newspaper

c.         Develop the programs of the panel

d.         Publish some information

e.          in order to advance at the same pace.

 

Questions 26 – 27 are based on the following text.

 

Bali is an Indonesian island known for its forested volcanic mountains, iconic rice paddies, beaches and coral reefs. The island is home to religious sites such as cliffside Uluwatu Temple. To the south, the beachside city of Kuta has lively bars, while Seminyak, Sanur and Nusa Dua are popular resort towns. The island is also known for its yoga and meditation retreats.

 

The southern tip is also world-renowned for its prime surfing spots such as Padang Padang and Uluwatu. Further island is Ubud, a hill town known for its spa treatments, yoga and ecotourism, which may include a trip to a monkey preserve. Ringing the island are coral reefs teeming with sea life, making it a hot spot for scuba diving. You can also get a taste of Balinese culture at a gamelan percussion performance or one of thousands of Hindu temples,

 

26.       What is the writer’s intention to write the text?

a.         To invite people only for a meditation

b.         To ask people to come to the place

c.         To learn how to do surfing in Bali

d.         To describe cities in Indonesia

e.         To get a taste of Balinese culture at a gamelan

 

27.       In paragraph 2, the writer tries to explain that ... .

a.         Gamelan will be banned by the local government

b.         We can do surfing, diving in Uluwatu and Ubud

c.         There are so many volcanic mountains in Bali

d.         Monkeys can be endangered in Bali

e.        The island is also known for its yoga

 

Questions 28 – 30  are based on the following text.

 

Dear valued customers,

 

We are excited to announce that we are officially changing our company name to IDP Corporation from I&A System effective from November 1, 2014.

 

The new name ... (28) our dedication to ID card industry, and significant expansion of the business activities since ... (29) first began operating under the name of I&A System in the year of 2005. Please take a note that “Smart” brand of existing products remian unchanged representing continuity in these new and exciting times.

 

The company will continue to operate in its ... (30) structure and there has been no change in ownership, staff and its location. At the same time we will have the new web domain, www.idp-corp.com, and all our e-mail addresses, name@idp-corp.com, to reflect and strengthen the corporate identity. The old e-mail addresses and website in our company will continue to be operational for the next two years. For accounting purpose, bank information remains unchanged except the name of account holder to the new business name.

 

We look forward to your continues success sharing with you in our excitement about the progress and changes we are making under the new business name. As always, we will continue to serve our customers with the same devotion and quality which you have come to expect from us.

Sincerely yours,

Brian Roh

 

28. a. reflects

B. originates

C. examines

D. establishes

e.  expects

 

29. a. they

b. you

c. we

d. he

e. she

 

30. a. powerful

b. previous

c. current

d. secure

e. quality

 

31.  We would get the tickets, ....

a.       weren’t there so much rush at the cinema

b.      because there were so much rush at the cinema

c.       there were not so much rush at the cinema

d.      if there isn’t so much rush at the cinema

e.       although there were so much rush at the cinema

 

32. Fortunately you assisted to push the car. If you hadn’t helped him, he ... with you.

a.       will get angry

b.      would be angry

c.       would have gotten angry

d.      should angry

e.       would get angry


33. If Rani were not busy at the moment, she would go out with me, said Maria.

From Maria’s utterance we know that Rani ...with her.

a.    goes

b.    went

c.    didn’t go

d.    goes

e.    doesn’t go

34.If I knew how to play badminton, I would join the badminton club. This sentence  means….

f.     I can play badminton

g.    I join the badminton club

h.    I don’t know how to play badminton

i.     I play badminton in the badminton club

j.     I don’t know the badminton club

35.  Amin : “What would you do if you were accepted in Harvard University?

                         Mira : “I would have video call with you everyday, talking about the atmosphere   

                                    there.”

                What does Mira mean?

a.    She studies in Harvard University

b.    She has video call with Amin everyday

c.    She is not accepted in Harvard University

d.    She knows well about Harvard University

e.    She talks about atmosphere in Harvard University

36.  Aldo : Did you attend the meeting last Monday?’                            Fery : I would if I had been invited.

                The underlined utterance means         .

a.    Fery didn’t attend the meeting

b.    Fery plans to attend the meeting

c.    Fery knew about the meeting and he attended the meeting

d.    Fery was not invited to the meeting but he came

e.    Fery was invited to the meeting.

37.  You     the job if you were not late to the interview.

a.    would get

b.    would be gotten

c.    would have gotten

d.    would have been gotten

e.    will get

38.  If we don’t hurry, the meeting           by the time we get there.

a.    would have started

b.    will have started

c.    will be start

d.    will start

e.    would start



39.  If I had a lot of time, I would study Germany. From this sentence we know that    .

a.    I have a lot of time, so I study Germany

b.    I studied Germany because I had a lot of time

c.    I want to study Germany because I have a lot of time

d.    I would like to study Germany, but I don’t have much time

e.    I had no time to study Germany

 

 

40.  Boy : You will attend the scout activity this afternoon, won’t you?

                       Girl : I’d love too, but my motorcycle is being repaired at the moment.

               What will the boy likely respond?

a.    Are you certain about the information?

b.    Don’t worry, I’ll fetch you at 2 P.M

c.    I’m dissatisfied with the last activity

d.    I agree if we attend the activity together

e.    Poor you



41.  Boy : Hey, what are you doing?

                       Girl : I’d like to take the book on the top of the shelf, but I can’t reach it.

               Boy : Which book?

               Girl : That one. It’s entitled Creative Ideas. Boy : ……..

               How will the boy likely respond?

a.    Don’t worry. I’ll take it for you

b.    I think the book is interesting to read

c.    I believe many people will read the book

d.    I am proud of having a friend who likes reading

e.    I’ve read the book

 

 

 

 

 

The following dialogue is for questions 43 to 44.

Man     : Let me carry your luggage, Ma’am.                     Woman : Thank you. Here’s your tip.

 Man    : Thank you, Ma’am. Have a nice stay.


42. What does the man offer?

a.       Carry the bandage      

b.      Prepare the schedule  

c.       Tell the receptionist

d.      Carry the luggage

e.       Book a flight ticket

 

43.  Where does the dialogue take place?

a.       At the post office       

b.      At the airport 

c.       At the bank

d.      At the hotel

e.       At school


44. Man : May I have a glass of orange juice, dear? I’m so thirsty
                                                                 

       Girl : Sure, Dad. Wait a second.

     What does the man want?

                                                             a.      to get a glass

                                                            b.      to have a breakfasta.

                                                             c.      to make a glass of juice

                                                            d.      to open an orange juice bottle

                                                             e.      to have a drink

The following dialogue is for questions 45 to 47.

Zaidan : I have a task to make a caption, but I am confused about what to write. Do you have any idea?

Syaiful : Why don’t you search in the internet? There are good captions about nature, life or motivation as your inspiration.

Zaidan : That’s good idea. Let’s search for them.

Syaiful : Look, this nature caption is very good and the words are well arranged. I really recommend it for your caption.

Zaidan : You are right, I don’t have pictures about nature. Anyway, look at this caption! It’s about the spirit to start days. I think this caption is good and has a deep message.

Syaiful : Yeah, but this caption is not interesting because there is no picture.

Zaidan : You’re right. What do you think about this friendship caption?

Syaiful : Awesome! The picture and the words are interesting and it has a good message. You can use our picture when sitting on the bench at the park, captured from the behind

Zaidan : Wonderful! Thank you for your suggestions.



45.What are the speakers doing?

a.They are doing their assignment

b.They are discussing Zaidan’s assignment to make a caption

c.They are searching or captions in the internet for their wall magazine

d.They are taking pictures at the park for captions

e.They are writing a caption about spirit to start days



 

46.What do they call a good caption?

a.It is contemporary

b.It should be written by a popular person

c.It shows a clear picture without words

d.It contains a good message, an interesting picture and meaningful words

e.It contains full-length sentences with simple pictures



47.What caption will Zaidan make?

a.Environment

b.Spirit of life

c.Friendship

d.Nature

e.Motivation

48. They were interviewing her for the job.
She ________________ for the job.

a.was being interviewed

b.was interviewed

c.were being interviewed

d.were interviewed

e.is interviewed

49.Tom is writing the letter.
The letter ________________ by Tom.

a.was written

b.is being written

c.was being written

d.were written

e.are being written

50.The employees brought up this issue during the meeting.
This issue ________________ by the employees during the meeting.

a.Is being brought up

b.is brought up

c.are being brought up

d.are brought up

                                e.was brought up